More Hope to Ignite: Chrysalis Shelter
Overview: The Work of Angels
Chrysalis is a safehouse for women and children fleeing domestic violence. As a nonprofit, Chrysalis relies on financial contributions to operate their emergency shelter, transitional housing, counseling, advocacy and recovery programs. The shelter is staffed by a skilled and dedicated group of professionals with experience and sensitivity in helping fragile and traumatized women and children. For organizations like Chrysalis, fundraising and public awareness are its biggest challenges.
Video Project Needs: Goals Aimed at Growth and Awareness
Chrysalis needed a video to present to their supporters and potential contributors that would accomplish these goals:
- Fundraise to benefit the programs and extend services to more survivors
- Educate the public on the signs of domestic violence
- Communicate the urgency of taking action when abuse is happening
- Give hope to survivors of domestic violence
Challenges: Privacy and Security
- Operating out of a confidential location, Chrysalis’ operations and shelter could not be used in the video.
- For their own safety, survivor interviews, stories, faces or voices could not be used.
- Multiple messages needed to be conveyed: urgency, recognition of abuse, asking for help, and the need for financial contributions.
Skills: Sensitivity Required
- Creatively telling a moving and complex story
- Scriptwriting with sensitivity to language
- Graphic editing and animation expertise
- Understanding of the progression of domestic abuse
The Video: A Unique Approach
We had generous leeway with video length to build a story and create an impactful piece for Chrysalis. The 2:21 video was created with graphic and animation elements, made from scratch in the Manley Films Edit Grotto, and accomplishes these important aspects:
- Introduces a troubling relationship from its beginning
- Shows warning signs such as isolation and defensiveness
- Conveys the concern of friends and family
- Illustrates the escalating abuse
- Teaches survivors how to escape an abusive relationship
- Ends with a strong call to action for survivors of domestic violence and their loved ones
- Creates a compelling message to motivate potential donors.
Chrysalis is a safe haven for abused women and children. We are privileged to help them raise awareness and funds.